Pet Insurance 101
What is a waiting period?
And how long does a waiting period last?
So you’ve signed up for Fetch Pet Insurance. That’s just a first step in a series of smart decisions to ensure your pet’s health is always taken care of. Now there’s a 15-day waiting period before you can submit your first claim.
Unsure of what a waiting period is? It’s a standard practice amongst most pet insurance companies — here’s what you need to know.
What is an insurance waiting period?
A 15-day waiting period starts on the effective date of your policy — during this time, your coverage hasn’t kicked in yet. Here are some important things to consider about the waiting period, including:
- We cover injuries and illnesses that occur or show clinical signs after the waiting period is over.
- Any claims you submit during the waiting period will not be covered or eligible for reimbursement.
- Any injury or illness that occurs or shows clinical signs during the waiting period will be considered a pre-existing condition, which means it won’t be eligible for coverage or reimbursement (keep reading to see what we cover).
Once the waiting period is over, we’ll cover up to 90% of your cat or dog’s medical expenses. And we’re the most comprehensive pet insurance provider, meaning we’ll pay you back for several health instances. Here’s some of what we cover:
- Prescription medications and supplements
- Emergency vet visits
- Virtual, in-home and office visits
- Hospital stays
- Physical therapy
- X-rays and CT scans
- Blood tests
- Breed-specific issues, including hip dysplasia
- Sick-visit exam fees
- Laboratory tests
- Vomiting and diarrhea
- Hereditary and congenital issues
- Swallowed objects and toxins
- Every tooth covered (and gum disease)
- Diabetes and insulin
- Cancer treatment
- Veterinary acupuncture and chiropractic care
- Treatment to help aggression and separation anxiety
RELATED: What does pet insurance cover?
Help your dog live a healthier, longer life.
Introducing the Fetch Health Forecast.
How does pet insurance work?
If your waiting period is over and you need a little refresher on how pet insurance works, feel confident knowing that with Fetch, it’s straightforward. Here’s how to get paid back:
Step one: Visit any licensed vet in the U.S. or Canada.
Step two: Submit a claim on our app or website by taking a photo of your vet documents. We’ll handle it from there.
Step three: Get paid back for your covered claims! You can receive up to 90% of your vet expenses back and get paid back quicker if you use direct deposit.
We understand wanting to cover your pet’s medical expenses as soon as possible. That’s why it’s a good idea to sign up for pet insurance while your pet is young or right after you first welcome them home.
The Dig, Fetch's expert-backed editorial, answers all of the questions you forget to ask your vet or are too embarrassed to ask at the dog park. We help make sure you and your best friend have more good days, but we’re there on bad days, too.
Save up to 90% on unexpected vet bills
No enrollment fee, cancel anytime.
Photo by Bianca Ackermann on Unsplash