Health & Wellness
Can dogs eat strawberries?
Yes (but save them for special occasions).
You and your dog share most things, so when you dive into a carton of freshly picked strawberries, it is almost second nature to offer one to your best friend. Your pup is probably expecting it, too — just check out their drool and begging eyes. Well, you will both be pleased to learn that strawberries are OK to share with your dog, just as long as your vet signs off. We've even provided tips to make this treat as healthy as possible for your pup.
(Even though strawberries are generally safe for your pet, always consult your vet before introducing a new food item to their diet.)
Are strawberries good for dogs?
Strawberries are a great treat option for pups because they are low in calories and packed with nutritional benefits. No, the occasional berries here and there are not enough to drastically improve your best friend's well-being, but it does not hurt to know what vitamins and minerals your pup can get from this sweet snack:
• Fiber: supports gut health and helps dogs feel full
• Potassium: maintains muscle and nerve health and boosts energy
• Magnesium: promotes bone, muscle and nerve health
• Vitamin B-9 (folate): encourages gastrointestinal health
Can I give my dog strawberries as a treat?
All treats (strawberries included) should not exceed 10% of your pup's daily calories and the other 90% should come from a complete and balanced diet.
Because of strawberries' high sugar levels, your pup should only enjoy this treat on special occasions. Too much sugar in a pup's diet can lead to an upset stomach and obesity. Obesity can reduce your dog's lifespan and put them at risk for developing medical conditions such as heart disease, diabetes, arthritis and kidney disease. Sharing a few berries with your dog every once and a while is unlikely to cause a problem, though.
RELATED: Can dogs eat watermelon?
Help your dog live a healthier, longer life.
Introducing the Fetch health forecast.
How many strawberries can dogs eat?
Check with your veterinarian about the correct portion size for your pet. The smaller the portion size (and sliced into bite-sized pieces), the better when it comes to this fruit. Only treat your pup to strawberries every so often. And if your best friend gets so excited they eat the whole berry — stem and all — don't worry. The strawberry leaves and stems are not toxic, but they may cause an upset stomach because their fibrous nature makes them a little harder to break down.
There you have it: As long as your vet approves, strawberries are fair-game for you and your pup to share. Just remember what we said about moderation. So go ahead and wash up the carton of fruit and dig in with your best friend.
We are confident that strawberries aren't the only human food your dog would love to sink their teeth into (cue the drool). Check out our series “Can dogs eat ... ?” to learn more about which human foods are off-limits and what's fair game.
The Dig is the expert-backed editorial from Fetch Pet Insurance. We're here to answer all of the questions you forget to ask your vet or are too embarrassed to ask at the dog park.