The Fetch by The Dodo Logo
Illustrations of purple grapes on a beige colored background

Health & Wellness

Can dogs eat grapes?

No (dogs should avoid this fruit in all forms).

You’ve completed what felt like the longest day of work ever, and now you want to treat yourself. You decide to create one of your famous charcuterie boards, and you want to make your pup a barkuterie board to match. Just like your tray, you’ve plated dog-friendly cheeses and meats for your pup. But, you know to save all the fresh grapes and raisins for your spread because they’re not safe for dogs to eat.

(Grapes aren’t safe for your dog — contact a vet or poison control if your pet accidentally eats one.)

Are grapes good for dogs?

All types of grapes, including raisins, Zante currants and sultanas, are toxic to dogs and can have some seriously negative effects on your pup’s health.

How many grapes can a dog eat?

Grapes should be kept away from your pup at all costs.

Why can’t dogs eat grapes?

While it’s still unknown what exactly about grapes makes them toxic to dogs, it’s best to avoid them in general. If your dog eats a grape, it can lead to kidney failure or, in extreme cases, be fatal.

RELATED: Can dogs eat mangos?

INTRODUCING

Fetch by The Dodo

The only pet insurance recommended by The Dodo

Start quote

Smiling woman hugging her happy dog

What do you do if a dog eats grapes?

Can a dog eat one to two grapes?

Even if a dog eats one to two grapes, it can still have seriously negative consequences on their health. Contact your vet or poison control immediately if you think your dog ate a grape.

What if my dog eats 10 grapes?

Regardless of how many grapes your dog eats, contact your veterinarian or the Pet Poison Helpline (877-921-2416) for advice immediately or consider taking them to an emergency vet clinic. Your vet may want to induce vomiting, monitor your dog’s blood work, start therapy to protect your dog’s kidneys or treat them for signs of lethargy, vomiting, diarrhea and lack of appetite.

Toxic ingestion happens when dogs eat something toxic, like grapes. If you think your dog is suffering from toxic ingestion after eating a grape, watch out for:

  • Vomiting
  • Decreased appetite
  • Abdominal pain
  • Lethargy
  • Weakness
  • Trembling

In general, it’s always a good idea to have an emergency preparedness plan in place for your pet. Some quick steps to get you started are:

  • Write down the phone numbers for poison control, local 24-hour emergency pet hospitals and animal ambulances in your area.
  • Put together a pet emergency kit including latex gloves, an information card with your vet’s address and phone number and towels.
  • Practice for emergencies by familiarizing your pet with riding in the car.

It’s important to keep dogs away from grapes at all times. Dogs can become seriously sick after eating grapes and it can sometimes be fatal.

Responsible snacking

Grapes (in all forms) may not be safe for dogs to enjoy, but there are plenty of human foods they can sink their teeth into (cue the drool!). Check out our series "Can dogs eat … ?" to learn more about which human foods are off-limits and what's fair game.

Sign up for our newsletter

Get your price